Tuesday, December 3, 2013

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Wow! Can you believe it is already December? In North Carolina, December is a little warmer than back home in Idaho so it seems to have crept up on me quick! The Christmas lights are beginning to line the main streets of the small towns I serve near. Christmas trees are popping up in the windows of nearly every home. What's best is that everyone seems a little happier, smiles seem a little brighter, and faces a little friendlier. Those are a few reasons why this is one of my favorite times of the year. 

To some people, the thought of setting aside all things (college, friends, family, home, comfort) for 2 years to be living somewhere far away is completely foreign. Especially at the Holiday season, I thought I would be missing my family or friends. And though at times I may question why I am here, I know there is nowhere I would rather be than on a mission right now.

This past week we had a great opportunity to go caroling with a family, leaving others with a plate of goodies and a message on Christ. Even though we have never met these families before, more often than not, the would let us come into their home only a few lines into our Christmas carol. More permanent than the plate of pumpkin rolls or the message shared is the feeling of friendship we all were able to have. Hearts are really opened this time of the year! Only thing that I could hope for, is that this feeling could linger in everyone's hearts a little longer than a month or so :) Below is a little poem from prophet and President Thomas S. Monson and a picture of what this season is really all about. Merry Christmas everyone. 

What do you love about this Christmas season?

For future reference, Tuesday will be my posting day on most weeks. So keep your eye out on Tuesdays I guess!

There’s Christmas in the home and church,
There’s Christmas in the mart;
But you’ll not know what Christmas is
Unless it’s in your heart.

-Thomas S. Monson


No comments:

Post a Comment