Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Someone to Lean On

This week's blog post will be short and sweet.

Be near me, Lord Jesus; I ask thee to stay
Close by me forever, and love me, I pray.
Bless all the dear children in thy tender care,
And fit us for heaven to live with thee there.

One of the best parts about the Christmas season for me is definitely the Christmas songs that are so familiar to all of us. Usually, they just remind me of fond memories of past Christmas seasons but the verse to "Away in a Manger" was particularly touching to me the other day. It hit me when we were singing it at a fireside. Sitting beside me was a rather large man we have been teaching for about a month now. As he sung the verse with his low, grumbling voice I could nearly feel the the ground shake beneath my feet. What's more than that was that I could feel his spirit. The words touched me "I ask thee to stay close by me forever, love me, I pray."

We all need help, no matter how much we think we can take everything on head on. Let's face it, this world we live in is full of pain and heartache. I really have come to find out, that is why God gave us families and friends. We need that support sometimes to get through the rough patches. What's more is that God gave his Son for us. When life gets hard we can lean on Him. 

The lesson I learned from our friend at the fireside is that we all got struggles that, to us, are extremely hard. To others on the outside it may not seem like they are that big of deal but they are big. We simply cannot do it alone. 

4 comments:

  1. I enjoy your insights to things I know too but you have a delightful way of putting them into words. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am grateful for the feedback. I hope all is going well.

      Delete