Tuesday, September 2, 2014

The Future is Bright

The other day I was pondering on the fact that our loving God would let some of his children go through trials, even devastating trials at times. The hardest thing I have seen on my mission is when innocent, kind people are hurt. I realize, the unenviable pattern of life is that everyone on earth will have ups and downs. Just looking at life logically, it is impossible to have all our days be better than average. Some days will be fantastic and others will be heart-breaking. But if God is really there, and God really loves us, why?

In the Bible, 5th chapter of Mathew it says
          "That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust."
An instant parallel that opened up to my mind as I read that verse is like any Father and Child (or Mother and child) relationship. If the child always got what he wanted, if they are anything like me, life would consist of ice-cream for every meal, late nights, no homework, sleeping in, and simply living in the moment. That would be absolutely fantastic for the first day or two but it would slowly begin to become detrimental on the children. Likewise, more often than not, experiences teach us vital life lessons and skills. Our Father in Heaven allows these trials come upon us so that we might come out stronger.

I know what it is like to feel sad, inadequate, or discouraged. We all do. But as we look up to the future ahead and have faith, one day it will all be well. I love the quote from Thomas S. Monson at the top. "Be of good cheer. The future is as bright as your faith."

4 comments:

  1. Thanks again for another blog post from Grandma and me. We love you and cherish your thoughts and a huge THANK YOU for the amazing poem you wrote about Grandpa. We liked it so much that it was printed up and inserted in each and every funeral program. Many have commented on how special the poem is for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elder Nelson, it is so good to see you posting again! I especially love the last quote, it is one of my favorites, :Be of good cheer. The future is as bright as your faith." That is so true and a quote that I look to often when feeling overwhelmed. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gloria, I really appreciate the kind comments. I was excited to hear that it was included in the program!

    Sister Howell, thanks so much! I love that quote too! (I guess it is obvious if I put it on the blog)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look forward to every Monday and Tuesday! I feel lifted and encouraged by your letters and posts. I've really loved the last two posts. Glad you have a few moments to blog.

    ReplyDelete