Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Walks of Life

In this wonderful world that we live in, it is easy to see the differences between each and every one of us that call Earth home. Diversity is found on a broad scale whether it be diversity in culture, religion, nationality, or race. Although we all differ in many instances, I would like to suggest that we all have a major commonality and that is that we all have faith.

Now, before you challenge that statement, hear me out. On my mission, I have had the wonderful chance to meet people from all over the world with all different walks of life. With that, I have been able to talk to people of many different religious backgrounds. Some of these include Muslims, Non-denominational Christians, atheists, baptists,  agnostics and yes a few Mormons too! The amazing thing is that each of them has faith in something no mater what it may be. A scholar has faith in his research, just as a Christian has faith in Christ. A scientist has faith in his theories, just as an agnostic has a faith in a greater power. In the book of Hebrews we learn from the words, "now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." If you ask me, there are many things we hope for. 

Many of us hope for a better world. We might hope for a bright future for our family or children. In fact, little tasks like setting an alarm for the next day exercises faith. We hope that we will see another day, so we might set that alarm and even make plans for the next day, even though the next day is never a guarantee. In a very real sense then, faith is what fuels us.

Faith is the light that allows us to see. The exact opposite of the darkness that comes from fear. Real growth comes from an increase of our faith. In the wise words of President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, "The perfect place to begin is exactly where you are right now. It doesn't matter how unqualified you may think you are or how far behind others you may feel . . . The darkness may not dissipate all at once, but as surely as night always gives way to dawn, the light will come."

I know that we all have faith and as we exercise faith, God will bless us. Faith is the first stepping stone on the path to happiness, no matter what walk of life we come from. I know this because in the times that I let my fears conquer my faith I have always fallen. There is a brighter future and I know that as President Uchtdorf said, "the light will come."


2 comments:

  1. I love this! Well said Elder Nelson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, well said. I too love that quote by President Uchtdorf. I do have to admit though, that when I set that alarm with faith I often hope that it does not go off. ;-)

    ReplyDelete